identifying hail damage to the home

« Back to Home

Protect Your Children From Mold By Waterproofing Your Crawl Space

Posted on

Having children is a thrilling experience for many parents, but it can be devastating if they get sick. One issue that rarely gets touched on in pediatric health is the danger of mold and how it affects children who live in homes with crawl spaces. If you are worried about your child's health and have a home with one of these areas, it is critical to understand how mold develops in there and the ways it can be treated with waterproofing.

The Ways Mold Makes Its Way Into Your Crawl Space

A crawl space is often a favorite growing place for mold because it is usually rarely accessed by individuals in a home and is often sealed off for extended periods. This gives mold the time it needs to grow in a dark and isolated area. Just as problematic, a crawl space that suffers from excessive moisture may increase your chances of developing mold.

And when mold starts growing in your crawl space, it can be very difficult to get it out. In some circumstances, mold may infest your crawl space and spread to other areas where your children play. If your child inhales these mold spores, they may be in danger of serious health problems.

This Mold Can Be Dangerous

The development of mold in a crawl space should be a concern for anyone who has children. That's because mold spores can cause a variety of problematic reactions, including:

  • Allergic shock
  • Difficulties breathing
  • Mental confusion
  • Anxiety and depression
  • Sluggishness and confusion

These symptoms could be dangerous if your child suffers from a severe allergic reaction and ends up having to go to the hospital. The best way of eliminating this risk and keeping mold out of their lungs is to waterproof your crawl space as soon as possible.

How Crawl Space Waterproofing Helps

If you find that your child is suffering from allergic reactions to mold, it might be time to get your crawl space waterproofed. This process installs what is known as a vapor barrier alongside the walls to keep water from coming into your basement. As a result, mold will have a decreased or eliminated source of water to tap into for its growth.

After you waterproof your basement, you may want to reach out to a mold removal specialist to ensure that you get rid of everything. This step will ensure that mold is removed from all of your house and will help to keep it from growing in your crawl space again.

So if your home is suffering from poor air quality due to a poorly-waterproofed crawl space and your children are getting sick, reach out to a company like like Central Penn Waterproofing. These professionals will seal up your basement and keep your children from sickness.


Share